Guiding someone to do a particular task on their computer is one of the most overwhelming jobs, especially when you two are not sitting in the same room. No matter how wonderfully you explain the process, more often than not, you won’t get the desired result. Screen recording software is a great solution to this problem, as it makes the whole process simple, and more importantly, it can be replayed as many times. This tool is basically used to record the ongoing activities on the screen. Here we have compiled 10 best screen recording software for Windows to help you find out a perfect one for yourself.
1. Icecream Screen Recorder
With Icecream Screen Recorder, you can record your entire computer screen or specific part of the screen as per your requirement. This is a user-friendly app with an intuitive interface. You can use this software to record video calls, conferences, game plays, and even webinars.
- Records video clips in various formats including MP4, MKV, and WebM
- Offers webcam recording too
- Audio gets recorded simultaneously along with the video
- On-screen drawing and annotations can be added while screen recording
- Screenshots can be saved to the clipboard or in PNG and JPEG format
- Offers Hotkey functions to record, pause and stop the recording
- Offers quick access to previously shot pictures and videos
- Free users can only do screen recording for 10 mins at a stretch
- Limited functionalities and options in the free edition
- Recordings aren’t up to the mark in the free version, hence can’t be used for commercial purposes
2. iSpring Free Cam
iSpring Free Cam has a simple interface and as the name suggests, it is absolutely free of charge. This screen recording tool has an inbuilt audio/video editor too. Its attractive interface lets you make professional-looking screen recordings. The best part is: even though it is free, it doesn’t add any watermark on its recordings and it is also ad-free.
- No watermark and ads
- Offers unlimited video recording without any time cap
- High-resolution videos
- Records voice-overs and computer sounds along with screen activity
- Videos can be saved as WMV
- Users can upload them directly to YouTube
- Eliminates any kind of background noise
- Unwanted parts of the videos can be deleted easily
- Offers a wide variety of audio effects
- Doesn’t support webcam recording
- Recordings can only be saved as WMV
3. Ezvid Video Maker
Ezvid Video Maker is an extremely useful screen recording tool that allows you to make HD videos. It enables on-screen drawing and specific parts of the screen can be recorded. Video title, description, and other metadata can be added to the recordings.
- Auto-save feature save the files automatically videos during recording
- Slideshows can be created with the shots
- Supports webcam recording
- Allows on-screen drawing and annotating while recording
- Audio recording and voice-over features are available
- The recorded videos can be uploaded to YouTube directly
- Videos can be recorded only up to 45 minutes at a stretch
- No custom settings
- Videos can only be uploaded on YouTube
ShareX is ad-free software that can brag about having almost as many features as most paid screen recorders software programs. ShareX is an absolute delight for developers and professional users, as it offers a cornucopia of innovative features. However, it can turn out to be confusing for amateur users.
- Various recording options: full screen, window, specific region, scrolling, or freehand
- Existing videos, photos or audios can be imported from the computer
- Offers hotkey features for quicker navigation
- Supports URL sharing on various platforms
- Custom watermarks effects
- Low-quality recording for games
- No video editing feature
- Webcam recording isn’t supported
- Baffling for an average user
- Difficulty in uploading large files
Screenpresso takes multiple screenshots of the computer screen and records the same to make High-quality videos. While it is one of the best screen recorder (paid), it doesn’t really offer much to the free version users. However, you can capture the entire screen or specific areas as per your need and also manage your captures.
- Audio and webcam can be recorded along with the screen
- Videos are recorded in MP4 format and can be converted to WebM, WMV and OGG format
- Screenshots and recordings can be used for the commercial purpose ( available in free version too)
- Android is not supported in its free version
- Maximum duration for recordings is just 3 minutes
- Limited image editing features
- Free users get fewer features
- Watermarks from files cannot be removed in its free version
CamStudio is a screen recording software with minimal editing features; hence it is good for occasional users. It creates videos in AVI format which can later be changed to SWF. While some love its simplicity, others want more features and better technical support.
- AVI format can be converted into Flash
- Allows creating a screen-in-screen video
- Custom cursor feature
- Creates lightweight files
- Potential harmful viruses and malware were found
- Lack of features
- Poor tech support
7. Free Screen Recorder by DVDVideoSoft
Free Screen Video Recorder is loaded with advanced features and it is absolutely free. It has unique features such as recording Skype calls without any time restrictions. Therefore, it is extremely useful for Skype interviews and conference calls. It has an image editor too, making it one of the most popular free screen recorders.
- Offers a handy screenshot option
- Different modes for recording screen and video
- Offers a wide variety of video output formats such as BMP, JPEG, PNG and GIF
- Sound recording only via microphone
- Too many ads
- Recordings can be saved as AVI only
Professional screen activity recordings can be created with minimal effort using Camtasia. Apart from recording videos, Camtasia also enables you to import existing videos into your new recording. Clickable links can be added to the recordings to create dynamic videos for classrooms or offices, which is a feature unique to Camtasia.
- Multiple videos and audio tracks can be recorded simultaneously
- Offers Google drive integration
- Trial period of full software is only available for 30 days
- Users can’t use videos for commercial purposes in its free version
With ScreenFlow, you can record your entire screen, webcam, microphone and audio tracks concurrently. It offers the best quality screen capture available, even when they are viewed on Retina Displays.
- Editing can be done even after recording is finished
- Can be converted to a wide variety of file formats
- No time limitation, even in the free version
- Videos are watermarked when created with the free version
10. Atomi ActivePresenter
ActivePresenter is great software that can record all or part of your screen with HD quality. Although it lacks various features in its free edition, it’s a perfect minimalistic tool for generating high-resolution videos.
- No watermark or time limitations (even for free version users)
- Transition and annotations can be added
- Screen recordings can be decorated with colors and shadows effects
- Videos can’t directly be uploaded online
Screen recording software is a must for bloggers and educators because writing instructions or a plain review can only take you so far. Incorporating professional step-by-step videos to your blog posts and tutorials will keep your viewers engaged. The aforementioned screen recorders could be handy.